Mark Shuttleworth introduced the new Ubuntu 10.10 code named Maverick Meerkat with a bold vision and impressive goals. He hopes that with Maverick Meerkat, Ubuntu will continue to lead the way for Linux in personal desktop market with radical changes in desktop interface and overall performance.
Some of the goals he highlighted for Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat:
– A new design track and cloud and server track. Continuing on the works done on Lucid Lynx.
– A new Ubuntu theme called Light.
– Main focus of Meerkat will be to make the OS the lightest, fastest OS is all aspects. As computers are getting more mobile, emphasis are given on performance increase in mobile platforms.
– Ubuntu Netbook Edition will get a new interface.
– A new initiative called Social from the Start to make Ubuntu desktop experience more collaborative and social. As people relies more and more on storing information on the cloud, Meerkat will work on synchronizing such information so that you can access it from anywhere.
Overall it seems that there will be much more radical changes than what we have already seen on beta releases of Lucid Lynx. This can only mean good thing for Linux as Ubuntu leads the way in popularizing Linux to the masses.